The following examples illustrate how you can use geotargeting to customize the content that each viewer sees based on their geographic location.
For background information and steps to enable geotargeting, see Targeting ads based on viewer location.
Restaurant with local franchises
A regional restaurant chain with franchises in many cities wants to run a centrally branded ad that features local offers and promotions.
- Promote the restaurant brand while highlighting unique franchise offers and services.
- When viewers play the ad, they automatically see their local phone number for ordering takeout.
- When viewers click the "View Our Seasonal Menu" button, they see the menu on their local franchise's website.
- The restaurant headquarters creates a geotargeting profile organized by city. The profile includes a custom phone number variable that lists each franchise's phone number and a custom website variable that lists the website of each local franchise.
- In the ad, headquarters includes two overlays. One overlay encourages viewers to "Order Takeout Now" and provides a phone number. The other invites viewers to "View Our Seasonal Menu."
- In the "Order Takeout Now" overlay text, headquarters includes the phone number variable.
- In the clickthrough URL field associated with the "View Our Seasonal Menu" overlay, headquarters includes the website variable.
Auto repair chain with multiple branches
A nationwide auto repair chain wants to raise awareness that its auto repair stores are available in most local communities.
- The auto repair chain has a store locator service on its website. Customers type a zip code to see a map and a list of stores with links for scheduling appointments. The chain wants to provide store locator functionality from within their ad.
- When a viewer clicks the "Find a Local Repair Shop" button, the store locator page on the auto repair chain's website opens, displaying a list of repair shops located near the viewer.
- In the ad, the auto repair chain creates a "Find a Local Repair Shop" overlay. In the clickthrough URL field, the chain provides the web address for the website's store locator page, substituting the zip code with a standard zip code variable. When a viewer clicks the overlay, Mixpo automatically replaces the zip code variable in the store locator web address with the viewer's actual zip code.
Airline with regional ticket deals
An airline with flights throughout the country wants to run a nationally branded ad that features ticket promotions for flights from each viewer's closest airport.
- Promote the company brand while highlighting deals relevant to each customer.
- Viewers see the lowest ticket price for flights from their closest airport to a variety of destinations.
- When viewers click the ad, they see search results for tickets from their airport to the advertised destination.
- The airline creates a geotargeting profile organized by zip code radius. The profile includes four custom variables, for the origin airport, the destination airport, the destination city, and the ticket price. Each origin airport is included on multiple rows in the geotargeting profile, with a different destination and the relevant ticket price on each row.
- In the ad, the airline includes a text overlay to promote the ticket deal. The overlay includes the text Flights from $originAirport to $destinationCity starting at $ticketPrice. When the ad is displayed, Mixpo automatically replaces the origin airport variable with the airport closest to the viewer, and randomly displays one of the destination cities and ticket prices for tickets from that origin airport.
- In the clickthrough URL field, the airline provides the web address of their flight search results webpage, using the origin airport and destination airport variables as placeholders for the actual airports.