You can display different creatives to viewers depending on the time of day or the day of the week. Dividing days into several parts and displaying different content during each part is called dayparting.
For example, a fast food restaurant displays an ad that features breakfast items in the morning, lunch items at midday, and dinner items beginning in the late afternoon. As another example, a local TV station creates a tune-in advertising campaign to promote upcoming TV shows in advance of each show's broadcast time.
When you enable dayparting, you associate multiple creatives with one placement. This enables you to traffic a single ad tag. The platform automatically displays the relevant creative for each time slot.
If you change the creatives that you include in your dayparting schedule, or adjust your dayparting time slots in the middle of a campaign, your ad is displayed uninterrupted and you can continue to use the same ad tag.
Before you start:
- If you haven't already created a placement need to create a placement then learn how to. If you already have one then you can edit it; just make sure the creatives that you want to include in your dayparting schedule have been created.
NOTE: You can include In-Banner Video, Rich Media, and Image creatives in the same dayparting schedule.You can also include In-Stream Video creatives in a dayparting schedule with other In-Stream Video creatives. And all creatives that includ a dayparting schedule should be the same size for an optimal viewer experience.
- If you haven't already made a creative you can make one from a template or make one from scratch.
NOTE: Usually the creatives for each time slot include similar layouts and assets. We recommend that you create a copy of the original creative, then base your additional creatives on the copy. For steps on how to copy a creative, see Copying a creative.
IMPORTANT: All creatives that you include in a dayparting schedule must use the same type of ad tag. For background information about selecting an ad tag, see Choosing the correct type of ad tag.
Create your dayparting schedule:
NOTE: By default, each day of the week has the same dayparting schedule. If you want to create a different schedule based on the day of the week, select the Schedule days of week separately check box.
- Navigate to your Campaign (select your Division, Account, and then Campaign).
- Click the Campaign Managementtab, then click on the Placements tab.
- Select the check box next to the Placement that you want to assign a dayparting schedule to, then click Edit placement on the right side of your screen.
- From the Edit Placement window, you can leave the top part as is, and in the bottom section under Assign Creative, select Multiple Creatives, then click Dayparted Rotation.
- From the Time zone drop-down list, select the time zone for your dayparting schedule. (For more info on scheduling by certain days, see step 10 below.)
- Choose which creative you want to use by clicking on the drop down next to the Select a Creative field.
- Select the start time the drop-down list.
NOTE: The first time slot always starts at 12:00 AM (midnight).
- Select the end time for the dayparting time slot from the time drop-down list.
NOTE: The final time slot always ends at 12:00 AM (midnight).
- To add additional dayparting time slots, click the plus icon, then repeat the steps above. You must schedule creatives for all hours of the day.
NOTE: You can assign the same creative to multiple time slots. If you do this, the performance data for the creative is aggregated across all time slots that the creative is assigned to.
- If you are creating a dayparting schedule based on the day of the week, select from the following:
- To schedule each day of the week individually, select the day of the week, then repeat the steps 5-9 above to add creatives to your dayparting schedule.
- To copy a dayparting schedule from one day to another day, click Copy Settings. Select the days that you want to copy the schedule to, then click Copy.
IMPORTANT: If you make changes to the dayparting schedule for one day, you must duplicate your changes for the other days.
- Select the play setting, and expansion behavior for the ad. For more info: Assigning a creative to a placement.
- In the Set Up Ad Tag section, select the appropriate Ad tag type. For help with this, see Choosing the correct type of ad tag.
- Click Save placement. The creatives are assigned to the placement, and an ad tag has been generated.
- To preview the placement with the rotation applied, return to the Placements tab. In the row for the placement, click the eye icon.
- To retrieve the ad tag for your ad, on the Placements tab, select the check box next to the placement, then click Pull Tags. The ad tag will be downloaded as a text file. Embed the ad tag in the website or ad network where you are running your campaign.
- If you need more help, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.