One way to make sure that your advertising campaign is as effective as possible is to analyze how many unique individuals see your ads, and how often each person sees your ad. These measurements are called reach and frequency:
- Reach: The number of unique viewers who see your ad, expressed as a percentage of all viewers. Reach is calculated by dividing the number of unique impressions by the total number of impressions.
- Frequency: The average number of times that each person sees your ad. Frequency is calculated by dividing the total number of impressions by the number of unique impressions.
If you compare the reach and frequency with performance metrics such as the clickthrough rate, you can understand how well a commonly displayed ad is performing. If an ad isn't performing as well as you expect, you can use various ad selection techniques to improve the performance of your campaign. For example, if viewers see the same ad too many times (that is, the frequency is high), they may stop responding to it, and the clickthrough rate may decline. To address this, you can enable ad rotation to randomly display one ad from a selection of ads. For background information about ad selection techniques, see Targeting and optimizing the ads in your campaign. For definitions of performance metrics, see the Glossary of Mixpo performance metrics.
Tip: You can also analyze reach and frequency based on views, rather than impressions. To do this, substitute unique views and total views for unique impressions and total impressions, respectively.
Reach and frequency data is automatically collected for all ads.
Note: Reach and frequency data is collected using a cookie saved on viewers' web browsers. If a viewer opts out of Mixpo cookies or disables cookies using a browser setting, reach and frequency data is not collected for that viewer.
To analyze reach and frequency data
- Navigate to the Division, Account, and Campaign of the ad.
- Click the Analytics tab.
- Click Export data, then select Create custom report.
- In the Custom report field, type a name for the report.
- From the Date range drop-down list, select the date range that you want to analyze.
- Expand the Organize Report area, then select the Impressions check box and the Unique impressions check box.
- Select any additional data that you want to include on the report, apply the desired filters, and specify the delivery schedule for the report. For more information about creating custom reports, see Creating a custom report.
- Click Save custom report.
- Calculate reach and frequency as follows:
- Reach = Unique Impressions ÷ Impressions
- Frequency = Impressions ÷ Unique Impressions