You can quickly add interactive visual content to an ad by including an image overlay in your creative. For example, you can display your company logo superimposed over a video clip.
Overlays are text, image, and widget elements that turn a passive ad into a dynamic, interactive online experience. Overlays sit on top of the video or rich media content and encourage viewers to engage with the ad. You can add actions to overlays to make them interactive. For example, you can link overlays to webpages, open panels that include additional interactive content, and so on.
Tip: You can display a custom image to each viewer based on their geographic location. For background information and steps, see Targeting ads based on viewer location.
Before you start
- Create an In-Banner Video creative, an In-Stream Video creative, or a Rich Media creative. For steps, see Assembling a creative from scratch.
- Prepare the image that you want to display. To make sure that the live ad is optimized for mobile devices, the image should be at least 44 × 44 pixels, so that it is big enough for viewers to tap. For information about the types of images that you can upload, see Supported file formats.
- If you plan to display your ad on smartphones or tablets, familiarize yourself with the best practices in Designing mobile browser ads for the iPhone or iPad and Designing ads for a mobile app.
To add an image overlay to a creative
- Navigate to the Division, Account, and Campaign of the creative.
- Click the Campaign Management tab, then click the Creatives tab.
- Click Edit for the creative. The Mixpo Studio opens.
- Select the canvas tab that you want to add the image overlay to. If you are adding the overlay to a panel, select the panel.
- Click the Overlays tab, then click Image.
- Click Library. The Media Library opens.
- To choose an image, select from the following:
- To upload a new image, click Campaign media, then click Upload media to library. Select the image that you want to upload, then click Open. (For information about the file types that you can upload, see Supported file formats.) The image is added to your Media Library, and you can use it on any creative in your Campaign. Select the image, then click Add media.
- To select an existing image from your Campaign, click Campaign media. Select the image, then click Add media.
- To select an image from Mixpo's stock library, such as a social media icon, click Our stock library. Select the image, then click Add media.
- To change the size of the image overlay, click and drag the sizing handles on the corners of the overlay. You can also specify an exact size and position. To do this, expand the Advanced area, then adjust the Position and size.
Note: If you added the image overlay to the Timeline Canvas tab, make sure that the live ad is optimized for mobile devices by leaving at least 44 pixels between the image overlay and the bottom of the creative, so that viewers can tap the video player controls.
- In the Overlay name field, type a name for the image overlay. The name is displayed in reports about the overlay.
- By default, when viewers click an image overlay, a new webpage opens. The webpage that opens is the web address that you specify when you create the creative. You can specify a different webpage, or assign a different action. Expand the Actions area, then select an action. For background information and steps to configure each action, see Specifying what happens when viewers interact with ads.
- By default, the same image is displayed to all viewers, regardless of their geographic location. You can display different images to viewers based on their location. To do this, in the Geotargeting variable field, type the image variable name preceded by a dollar sign. For example, $logo. For background information and steps to enable location-based targeting, see Targeting ads based on viewer location.
- If you want to display a border around the image, expand the Advanced area, then select the Border check box. Select a border color, width, and transparency.
- If you want to display a glowing shadow around the image when a viewer moves their cursor over it, expand the Advanced area, then select the Glow Effect check box. Select the color and transparency. In the Strength field, adjust the intensity of the glowing shadow. In the Blur field, adjust the width of the glowing shadow.
- If you added the image overlay to the Timeline Canvas tab, specify how the image overlay is animated. Do the following:
- From the Enter and Exit drop-down lists, select the entrance and exit animation effects.
- In the Duration field, type the number of seconds that you want the image overlay to appear for.
- In the Start time field, type the number of seconds into the video that you want the image overlay to appear.
- Click Save.
- To test that the creative appears the way that you want it to, return to the Mixpo Platform and click Preview.